Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Feeling Sheep-ish?

Maybe, like me, that's because you've seen that yet another trendy underwear company has launched.

This one's called Embers Merino, is based in Derbyshire, and apparently aims to move away from the technical look of existing base layers, into the lifestyle market.

More info here: http://www.embersmerino.co.uk/default.asp

Be that as it may, but I think the whole merino fetish is just the latest flash in the outdoor marketing pan.

Yes it's soft, yes it's natural, sure it smells sweetly - but have you actually tried getting a merino top properly saturated? It may well keep its thermal properties, but man is it heavy, and man does it take time to dry. For me, gear shouldn't just be comfortable on the hill - it should be comfortable in the pub afterwards as well.

Don't get me wrong - I own plenty of merino sweaters for work, which I love, but an office in London is never going to be the most testing environment, is it?

Wear wool on the hill if you must, but I'll take a well-sorted synthetic top any day of the week. Rant over.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I was wondering (in the vain hope that it might never happen) when we would first see the word "boutique" used to describe a gear shop/company. It's much more suited to the King's Road than the rolling hills of the Peak District.

As for base layers I'm still looking for an odour resistant pair of technical pants that use the latest fabric and are put together with sonic welding... perhaps the Gear Monkey could point me in the right direction (especially with the last bit)?

8:11 AM  
Blogger Noaddedsugar said...

Oh hallowed gear monkey.. but your assessment of merino is not true. I would say that if you are getting your merino wet from the outside then you forgot to pack your lightweight waterproof and if you are getting wet from the inside then frankly you are just too sweaty and should look at botox.
An icebreaker skin 200 is hardly going to drag you down when wet and in my experience is far more toasty and comfortable in all situations than synthetic baselayers. As you say it is natural, it doesn't stink after 5 mins of mild activity making tea in the bunkhouse and quite importantly, it won't go up like a rocket if you accidentally stand too close to your camping stove. All important features if you ask me. It might be a fetish but one I will continue to indulge in!

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home